Our Journey to Zero Waste
We're on a mission to be the first event catering company in Australia to provide zero waste events for our clients
There's a horrifying amount of waste created by the food industry. We know it's unsustainable, so we set ourselves the challenge of proving it can be economically sustainable. If we can create a zero waste catering model, we'll be shouting it from the rooftops to ensure every catering company can do the same.
Things we already do
- green waste from our kitchen and compostable serve ware from events goes to Rose Bay Community Garden to be turned into compost.
- food delivered in cardboard boxes goes back to our suppliers so they can reuse them
- catering leftovers go to our bellies or to OzHarvest
- paper/cardboard recycling and co-mingling recycling at our kitchen
- fashion designer linen offcuts turned into hankies as an alternative to single use napkins
- used cooking oil gets repurposed
- got some chickens (well, Rose Bay Community Garden did)
- make our own sodas to reduce bottled plastics
- shred waste paper for the chickens
Things we want to do
- a memorandum of understanding with suppliers to use minimal packaging when supplying produce
- use a bokashi bin of sorts onsite to compost food left from guests' plates
- chef uniforms made from eco friendly fabrics that are factory offcuts
- compost bones
- send soft plastics to a recycler / keep trying to find alternatives
- found a compostable gloves supplier, waiting for shipment
- found a reusable glad wrap, waiting for shipment
- spoke to TOMRA about a bottle and can vending machine at HQ, waiting for a response
If you'd like to help us achieve zero waste, or can connect us with the right people we'd love to hear from you.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org