Our Journey to Zero Waste
We're on a mission to be the first event catering company in Australia to provide zero waste functions for our clients
There's a horrifying amount of waste created by the food industry. We know it's environmentally unsustainable, so we set ourselves the challenge of proving it can be economically sustainable. If we can create a zero waste catering model, we'll be shouting it from the rooftops to ensure every catering company can do the same.
Things we already do
- green waste from our kitchen and compostable serve ware from events goes to Rose Bay Community Garden to be turned into compost.
- food delivered in cardboard boxes goes back to our suppliers so they can reuse them the next day
- catering leftovers go to our bellies or to OzHarvest
- paper/cardboard recycling and co-mingling recycling at our kitchen
- fashion designer linen offcuts turned into hankies as an alternative to single use napkins
- used cooking oil gets repurposed
- got some chickens (well, Rose Bay Community Garden did)
- make our own sodas to reduce bottled plastics
Things we want to do
- a memorandum of understanding with suppliers to use minimal packaging when supplying produce
- use a bokashi bin of sorts onsite to compost food left from guests' plates
- chef uniforms made from eco friendly fabrics that are factory offcuts
- compost bones
- send soft plastics to a recycler / keep trying to find alternatives
- found a compostable gloves supplier, waiting for shipment
- found a reusable glad wrap, waiting for shipment
- purchase a paper shredder to turn waste paper into shreds for the chickens
- speak to TOMRA about a bottle and can vending machine at HQ
If you'd like to help us achieve zero waste, or can connect us with the right people we'd love to hear from you.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org